Table of Contents
In-game, first-mover sets the tone for the opponent. In the Tic tac toe game, the first player marks squares with X crosses, and the other uses O (circles). The first player to complete a row or column with either X crosses or circles is considered the winner.
The first-mover is usually advantaged in this game because they can easily identify which column to complete, or which to cross to prevent the opponent from winning.
What is the first-mover advantage?
In economics, first-mover advantage refers to the advantage of an entity or company gains by introducing its product or service to the market first before its competitors. The first-mover can establish brand loyalty and recognition which may grant it a competitive advantage over new entrants.
Advantages of first-movers
- Ability to establish their product as the industry standard which means that the new entrants have to keep the standard to attract customers
- Making the first impression to customers which creates brand loyalty and recognition
- Control resources and raw materials and when possible create monopoly power
- Make it costly for the customers to switch to new entrants
Disadvantages of first-movers
- Difficult to persuade customers to try the product since it is new in the industry
- It can make mistakes that are used by later entrants to gain an upper hand competitively
- Later entrants can identify areas the first-mover has failed to maximize and take advantage of it
- The later entrants can re-engineer the products and make them better than the existing product
Examples of first-movers: Google, Starbucks.
Cite this article in APA
If you want to cite this source, you can copy and paste the citation below.
Editorial Team. (2023, September 4). Do Tic-tac-toe games have a first-mover advantage?. Help Write An Essay. Retrieved from https://www.helpwriteanessay.com/blog/answer-and-explanation-which-of-the-following-games-has-a-first-mover-advantage-tic-tac-toe-prisoners-dilemma-rock-paper-scissors-vickrey-auction-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-first-movers/